Yorkshire Fish & Chips with Tartare Sauce
Making the most of the Yorkshire Coast with tasty homemade fish and chips and a delicious tartare sauce.
CREDIT: Chris Blackburn, www.yorkshirepudd.co.uk
- INGREDIENTS FOR FISH & CHIPS • 2 Pieces of Haddock fillet, Skinned and Boned • Seasoned flour (1 tbsp plain flour mixed with 1 tsp sea salt & 1tsp cracked black pepper) • 1 egg, beaten • 400g Maris Piper Potatoes peeled and washed • Olive oil for frying
- INGREDIENTS OR MAYONNAISE • 2 free-range egg yolks • 1 tsp. ready-prepared English mustard • 285ml / ½ pint groundnut oil • Pinch of sea salt and white pepper
- INGREDIENTS FOR TARTARE SAUCE • 200ml of your homemade mayonnaise • 3 tbsp. capers, drained and finely chopped • 3 tbsp. cocktail gherkins, drained and finely chopped • 1 small shallot, finely chopped • Squeeze of lemon juice • 3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- First make the mayonnaise by placing the egg yolks into a mixing bowl; add the mustard, salt and pepper and mix all of them together well.
- Gradually begin to add the oil, a trickle at a time. Try using a Kitchen aid mixer with the whisk attachment whilst drizzling in the oil. Ensure each drop of oil is thoroughly whisked before adding the next drop. When all the oil has been added, taste and add more salt and pepper if it needs it.
- Mix together all of the tartare sauce ingredients and combine well with 200ml of the mayonnaise.
- Preheat the oven to 200C Chip the potatoes into 1/2 cm wedges, then coat or spray with light olive oil and bake for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime cut each piece haddock lengthways and then across to give you 4 pieces of fish per fillet. Coat firstly in seasoned flour, then in beaten egg and finally in Panko breadcrumbs. Shallow fry the coated fish for 3-4 mins each side or until golden.
- Serve with the chips and a large dollop of tartare sauce.