Weetons Smoked Salmon Florentine
Using flavoursome Yorkshire smoked salmon, this recipe from Weetons Food Hall in Harrogate makes a delicious brunch.
- 2 breakfast muffins, halved & lightly toasted
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- Knob of butter
- Salt & pepper
- 4 slices of smoked salmon
- 4 eggs
- Hollandaise Sauce (this will make more than you need) 6 egg yolks 500g butter, clarified if possible 75ml white wine vinegar (alternatively 50ml lemon juice) 6 black peppercorns
If your hollandaise splits, just add a little hot water and mix well.
- First make the hollandaise sauce by hand whisking the egg yolks in a bowl over a pan of simmering water until thick and light in colour. Simmer the white wine vinegar with the peppercorns in a separate pan until reduced by 2/3rd. Strain out the peppercorns and add the vinegar reduction to the whisked eggs. Finally slowly incorporate the hot clarified butter, whisking all the time until you have a smooth emulsion.
- Next wilt the spinach in a pan with a knob of butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Poach the eggs in a pan of simmering water with a dash of white wine vinegar for 2 ½ minutes.
- Assemble the Florentine by placing a spoonful of spinach on each muffin, followed by a slice of smoked salmon and then a poached egg. Finally spoon the hollandaise sauce on top and season with freshly ground black pepper and a sprinkling of sea salt.