Weetons Smoked Haddock Chowder
One of the most popular dishes on the menu - a delicious smoked haddock chowder from Weetons Food Hall, Harrogate. www.weetons.co.uk
Serves Serves 4
- 500g smoked haddock 200g peas, frozen
- 1 leek, diced (reserving outer leaf)
- 4 sticks celery, diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 potatoes, King Edward or similar, peeled & medium diced
- 50g butter
- 1 glass of dry white wine
- 1.5 litres of vegetable stock
- Bouquet garni: 2 sprigs of rosemary, 2 sprigs thyme, 2 bay leaves & 2 sprigs of tarragon wrapped up in outer leaf of leek like a parcel and tied with string
- 250ml double cream
- 200g sweetcorn, tinned or frozen
- 200g peas, frozen
For a seafood chowder, add a handful of mussels at the last minute, put the lid on and cook for 2 minutes until shells open up. Discard any that do not open.
- Sweat the garlic, leek, celery, onion, potato & bouquet garni in a large knob of butter until soft but not coloured. Serve immediately with fresh crusty bread.
- Add 1 glass of dry white wine and 1.5 litres of vegetable stock and season well with salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer until vegetables are cooked and soft.
- Just before serving remove bouquet garni, then add double cream, smoked haddock, sweetcorn and peas, simmering for 5 minutes until fish is cooked.
- Serve immediately with fresh crusty bread.