Stewed Skrei cod with Cannellini beans & Chorizo
A delicious comforting cod recipe from Michel Roux Jr, on behalf of the Norwegian Seafood Council, to promote the season of Skrei cod from January - April.
- 3 thick Norwegian Skrei fillets (deboned and skinned)
- 175g cooking chorizo
- 2 small white onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 70g cavolo nero, roughly chopped
- 125g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 sprig thyme
- 200ml fish stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- For the cannellini beans (best prepared the day before): 240g dried cannellini beans; 1 carrot, peeled;½ shallot; 1 tsp sea salt; Salt and pepper
Prepare the cannellini beans the day before for the best taste, texture and flavour
- Prepare the beans (ideally the day before): Soak the beans in cold water for at least 5 hours. Once doubled in size, drain and rinse. Place in a large pan with the veggies, season and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, scoop off any foam and reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cover pan and cook for approximately 1 hour, adding more water if it gets too low. Once tender, strain and discard the cooked carrot and shallot.
- Slice the chorizo in bitesize morsels. Sear in a frying pan over med-high heat for 3 minutes on each side (no fat needed). Remove chorizo from pan and set aside on kitchen paper.
- Use the fat left in pan to sear the onions, garlic and cavolo nero. Cook for about 4 minutes until tender. Then add the tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes until softened.
- Finally, add the cooked beans, chorizo, thyme and stock together with the Skrei. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook for approximately 8 minutes. Season to taste and discard the sprig of thyme before serving.
- To serve: Take the dish straight to the table for everyone to tuck into, topping a good bed of the stew with a chunky Skrei cod fillet.