Smoked Salmon Puffs
Incredibly quick and easy to make with ready-made vol au vent cases, but why not try making your own ones in festive shapes?
Serves 12 as canapés
- 1 sheet puff pastry (320g) or 12 ready-made vol au vent cases
- 2 tbls crème fraiche
- 125g semi-dried tomatoes (often marinated in herbs & olive oil), drained & finely chopped
- 50g smoked salmon, cut into strips
- To serve: 1 tsp dill, finely chopped
Once you have your vol au vents, why not try different fillings? Ramus smoked trout pate topped with beetroot would be delicious.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C.
- To make your own vol au vent cases using a star shaped cutter, cut out 12 shapes (roughly 7cm width). With a slightly smaller star shape (i.e. 5cm wide) make an impression inside the star without pushing right through. This allows you to take out the middle of the puff pastry star once cooked to form a case.
- Brush with a little milk (optional) and then bake on a lined baking sheet for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Alternatively use ready-made vol au vent cases.
- Mix together the crème fraiche and semi-dried tomatoes and place a small teaspoonful into each pastry case.
- Cut the smoked salmon into 12 strips and display on top.
- Sprinkle with dill and serve.