Red Mullet with Pea Risotto & Tapenade Dressing
A fabulous supper dish from Danny Mills, ex-Footballer & Masterchef finalist.
- TAPENADE DRESSING 100g pitted olives, 1 clove garlic peeled and finely chopped, 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (no stalks), 1 anchovy fillet very finely chopped, 150ml olive oil
- PEA PUREE 300g frozen peas, 200ml chicken stock, 50g unsalted butter
- RISOTTO 1/2 onion finely chopped, 1 clove garlic peeled and finely chopped, 50g unsalted butter, 150g arborio rice, 300-400ml chicken stock (warmed), 50g freshly grated parmesan, 12 tablespoons of the Pea Puree, Salt and Pepper
- RED MULLET 12 red mullet fillets (2 per person if small) pin-boned and scaled, 2 cloves garlic peeled and finely sliced, squeeze of lemon juice
- Chopped sun dried tomatoes & frisee lettuce for garnish
- To make the tapenade, put the olives, thyme, garlic and anchovy into a blender, turn on and slowly drizzle in the oil until all combined. Store chilled until needed.
- To make the pea puree, place peas, stock and pinch of salt in a pan, cook until tender. Put in a liquidiser, add the butter, and puree until smooth. Season to taste & set aside until needed.
- To make the risotto, melt the butter in a wide based non stick pan & gently cook the onion and garlic without colouring (about 2 mins). Add the rice & stir well, coating the rice with butter, onion and garlic mix. Add the stock, a little at a time, stirring continuously so the rice does not stick and cooks evenly. When the stock has been absorbed, add a little more, continue until rice is almost cooked (it is cooked when firm, but must not be crunchy). Now add the parmesan and pea puree, mix well, season and keep warm.
- Next, drizzle some oil over the fish. Heat a large non stick pan and place some grease proof paper in the bottom (this will help the skin from sticking, even in a non stick pan). Place the fish in, skin side down, and cook for 2-3 mins until skin is crisp. Flip over, place some garlic on top, a squeeze of lemon and remove from heat. Allow to sit for 1-2 mins and serve.
- Alternatively, if cooking lots of the fish season the fish and place on a buttered tray skin side up. Top with garlic slices and place under a hot grill for 2-4 mins until just cooked.
- To serve, put a spoon of risotto onto the plate, place 2 fillets onto the risotto, drizzle some tapenade around the edge of the plate, add a few chopped sun dried tomatoes and top with frisee lettuce.