Potted Crab Tartlets
A quick and easy recipe for potted crab tartlets - handpicked crab meat in a spicy clarified butter. Perfect for entertaining.
Serves 24 tartlets
- 454g hand-picked white crabmeat
- 24 tartlet cases
- ½ green and ½ red chilli, diced
- Zest of 1 lemon, juice of ½ lemon
- Freshly ground nutmeg, pinch
- 1 tbsp clarified butter (made with 250g pack - see below for method)
- Chopped dill
- Salt and pepper
Clarified butter has a higher smoke point than butter, meaning that it doesn’t burn so easily. It is therefore particularly good for pan frying fish. Once made, it can be stored in the fridge for months or in an airtight container for a few weeks.
- To make the clarified butter, put 250g unsalted butter, cut into chunks, into a saucepan on a low heat until melted. Skim off any scum, then leave to stand until separated. Use a ladle to take off the clear clarified butter, leaving the milk solids behind. Store until required.
- Bake off the pastry cases as per the instructions.
- Mix the white crabmeat, chillies, lemon zest, and nutmeg together in a bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp clarified butter and mix together. Spoon the mix into your tartlet cases and press down the mix to leave a good space between the mix and the top of the case.
- Pour enough clarified butter into each tartlet to cover the crab mix. Garnish with some finely chopped dill and refrigerate for an hour to set.