Poached Skrei Cod, Cauliflower Purée and Pickled Radishes
A tempting tale of two food heroes to serenade spring, Michel Roux Jr pairs seasonal Skrei cod with the humble cauliflower for a lavish looking dish that any foodie could cook in the comfort of their own home.
Recipe courtesy of the Norwegian Seafood Council.
- POACHING INGREDIENTS: 4 Norwegian Skrei cod fillets (deboned and skinned); 1 litre milk; 1 tbsp salt
- CURRY INFUSED OIL: 100ml rapeseed oil; 1 tsp curry powder
- PICKLED RADISHES (fills a ½ litre jar): 1 bunch radishes; pinch of mustard seeds; 2 crushed black peppercorns; 200ml water; 200ml white wine vinegar; 2 tsp fine salt; 3 tbsp honey
- ROASTED CAULIFLOWER: 150g large cauliflower florets; drizzle of olive oil; pinch of chilli powder
- CAULIFLOWER PUREE: Drizzle of olive oil; 400g cauliflower florets; 1 tbsp curry powder; 1 tbsp chopped garlic; 300ml milk; 1 tbsp salted butter; 1 tbsp extra thick double cream; zest of half a lemon; coriander cress for dressing; salt and pepper
The pickled radishes and infused oil can be prepared days beforehand and stored in sterile jars
- Place the oil in a saucepan and gently heat to 60°C. Stir in the curry powder and cover the pan with cling film. Set aside to infuse for two hours.
- Rinse and trim the radishes. Slice finely or for extra crunch, quarter. Place in ½ litre jar with mustard seeds and peppercorns.
- Bring the water, vinegar, salt and honey to the boil in a pan. Once at a rolling boil pour into the jar of radishes. Cool to room temperature before using.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place the cauliflower florets in a bowl. Combine with the oil, chilli powder and a pinch of salt. Spread onto a baking tray and roast for 25 to 30 minutes until charred.
- For the purée, put olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Sweat the cauliflower for 2 minutes. Add the curry powder and garlic and sear for a further 2 minutes. Add the milk and simmer for 10 minutes until tender and ¾ of the liquid has evaporated. Transfer to a blender and purée with butter and cream. Once silky smooth, season with salt, pepper and lemon zest.
- For the fish, pour the milk into a pan and season with salt. Place over a gentle heat. Once simmering, delicately add the Skrei and cook for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the fish from the milk and serve immediately with the purée and cauliflower. Garnish with pickled radishes and herbs.