Lobster Mac ‘n’ Cheese
The luxurious addition of lobster turns macaroni cheese into something special!
- 500g macaroni pasta
- 75g unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 150ml dry white wine
- 75g plain flour
- 1.2 litres milk
- 150g Gruyere cheese
- 100g Cheddar cheese
- 1 dressed lobster, meat chopped into small pieces
- Salt & pepper
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
- 30g Parmesan cheese
- 30g breadcrumbs
To spice it up add a little cayenne pepper to the sauce before adding the pasta.
For an extra shellfish taste, infuse the milk for the sauce with the lobster shells and a bay leaf. Fully strain before use.
- 1. First cook the macaroni pasta as per cooking instructions, rinse with cold water to avoid further cooking.
- 2. Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- 3. Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan, add the onions and garlic and sauté until soft
- 4. Stir in the mustard, then add the white wine and let it reduce slightly
- 5. Stir in the flour then add the milk gradually letting the sauce thicken (5-10 minutes), stirring often.
- 6. Add the Gruyere and Cheddar cheeses and stir well until fully combined.
- 7. Finally add in the lobster and mix well with the cooked pasta. If it looks too thick add a little more milk. The sauce needs to be runny as it will thicken in the oven. Check seasoning, adding salt & pepper or cayenne pepper if required.
- 8. Pour into an oven proof serving dish and scatter over the Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs.
- 9. Bake in a preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Serve with a green salad and glass of dry white wine.