Kipper Kedgeree from Swallow Fish
A delicious rice dish flavoured with a hint of curry and nutritious kippers from the North East coast.
- 2 smoked Swallow Fish kippers
- 450ml/16fl oz boiling water
- 25g/1oz butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp hot curry powder
- 225g basmati rice
- 110ml double cream
- lemon, juice only
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp roughly chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Try using Steenbergs organic Curry Powder for great flavour www.steenbergs.co.uk
Save This RecipeDownload Recipe Card
- Place the kippers into a deep baking dish and pour over the boiling water. Leave in the water for five minutes, then remove and set aside, reserving the soaking liquid. Carefully remove the meat from the fish, taking care to remove all the bones. Place the kipper meat into a bowl and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a deep frying pan with a lid until hot then add the butter. Once the butter has melted, add the onion and fry for 3-4 minutes, until just softened but not coloured.
- Add the curry powder and cook for a further minute, then add the rice and stir to coat well in the butter and onions.
- Add the reserved kipper soaking liquid and heat to a gentle simmer, then cover with the lid and cook for 12-15 minutes, until the rice is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the double cream and lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then add the kipper meat, eggs and parsley. Stir gently to combine without breaking up the kipper meat too much.
- To serve, spoon into warmed bowls.