Grilled Lime & Fennel Sardines
A delicious dish from www.fishisthedish.co.uk. Perfect on the barbecue in the summer but equally good grilled. A great source of Omega-3 oils.
- 12 whole sardines, fresh or defrosted, cleaned
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, finely diced, reserving any leaves
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves, shredded
- Roast tomatoes & crusty bread for serving
Try this recipe with fresh mackerel.
- Preheat the grill or barbecue.
- Rinse the sardines under cold water, place in a shallow bowl and season.
- Mix together the garlic, diced fennel, oil, zest and juice of the limes and thyme leaves.
- Rub the marinade over the sardines, cover and marinate for at least and hour.
- Grill or barbecue the sardines for 3 mins each side, turning once. The skin of the sardines should be brown and crispy.
- Serve with roast tomatoes and plenty of crusty bread.