Crab crusted fillet of hake with shellfish mayonnaise
A delicious hake recipe with a crispy crab crust, from Will Pemberton, head chef at The Drum & Monkey Seafood Restaurant, Harrogate. A show-stopping dish for any special occasion.
- 4 hake portions (approx. 200g each)
- CRAB CRUST: 1 dressed crab, 100g Japanese (panko) breadcrumbs, 3 medium tomatoes, 2 medium shallots, 1 chilli, good sprinkle of parsley, 1 lemon, 50ml extra virgin olive oil, good pinch of sea salt
- SHELLFISH MAYONNAISE: 3 egg yolks, 50ml white wine vinegar, 1 dsp Dijon mustard, 100ml Shellfish sauce (see below), 300ml Vegetable oil
- SHELLFISH SAUCE: 500g langoustine shells, 2 medium carrots, 1 medium onion, 3 cloves of garlic, 2 celery sticks, 125ml white wine, 50ml brandy, 2 star anise, 1 tsp peppercorns, 2 bay leaves
Delicious with a glass of cold crisp white wine such as Muscadet.
- Preheat oven to 180C
- First make the shellfish sauce: place your langoustine shells in the pre-heated oven and to roast for 15mins until the shells are all a pale colour. Whist this is cooking, peel vegetables and roughly chop, heat a pan with a splash of oil and sweat vegetables without colouring. Add 125ml of white wine and 50ml of brandy and reduce by half.
- After 10mins add your shells and all the juices to the vegetables followed by the star anise, peppercorns and the bay leaves. Next add cold water to just cover the shells, bring to boil and turn down the heat to a simmer for 30 minutes. After this, strain the stock and discard the shells. Put your stock back on the heat and reduce down until the stock starts to thicken slightly and turns a darker colour. Season with salt & pepper to taste and chill until required.
- For the mayonnaise: in a food processor add your egg yolks, white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard and shell fish sauce (above). Blend for 1 minute until the mixture becomes pale in colour. Then slowly add vegetable oil until it emulsifies. This will make a thick mayonnaise, to thin out add lemon juice and season to taste.
- Next the crab crust: Chop tomatoes into quarters and remove the fleshy middle and seeds then dice into small chunks. Peel shallots and dice. Roughly chop parsley, add the breadcrumbs, olive oil, chili and lemon then mix all ingredients in a bowl. Remove meat from crab and add to bowl and gently hand mix combining ingredients together.
- Place hake in oven skin side up for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes place the crab crust on top of the skin and cook for a further 6 minutes. Whilst the hake is cooking, prep your seasonal greens, in this case we are using tender stem broccoli, blanch until cooked in boiling water.
- To serve, place the vegetables in the center of plate with hake resting on top, and finish with a drizzle of shellfish mayo. Bon appetite!