Aagrah’s Mumbai Machli Monkfish Curry
Don't be put off by the list of ingredients, this rich aromatic curry is delicious!
- 500 kg monkfish, cut into cubes
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 6 dsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, crushed or grated
- 1 dsp ginger puree
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 dsp natural yoghurt
- ½ dsp red chilli powder
- ¼ dsp turmeric powder
- ½ dsp salt
- 1 dsp coriander seeds, ground
- ½ dsp cumin seeds , ground
- 6 bay leaves
- ½ dsp garam masala
- 4 fresh red chillies, whole
- 1 handful of fresh chopped coriander
- 6 fresh curry leaves
- ½ fresh lime, sliced
- INGREDIENTS FOR MARINADE ½ dsp garlic puree, ¼ dsp ajwain (carom) seeds, ground, 1 dsp natural yoghurt, ¼ dsp salt
The longer you leave the fish in the marinade, the more intense the flavours.
- Marinate the monkfish with the ingredients in the marinade. Then heat vegetable oil in a deep sided pan and deep fry the marinated fish until half cooked.
- Heat olive oil in pan and fry onion until light brown. Add garlic, ginger and tomatoes and fry together with onion (for extra gravy add more onion).
- Add yoghurt and fry for a few minutes, then add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt, followed by ground coriander, ground cumin and bay leaves.
- Add in the fish, garam masala, red chillies, fresh coriander and fresh curry leaves and cook gently.
- Finally add the lime and cook for a few minutes.
- Serve with freshly steamed basmati rice.